Wednesday, January 10, 2018

And life goes on.

I had let my starter die. I know, that's terrible. I just got out of the bread-making habit. So I tossed it and started the process over, letting the flour and water collect wild yeast from the air and ferment. Frances II is now a beautiful thing, bubbly and ready to go.
My second loaf of whole wheat sourdough bread from this batch of starter. Since we eliminated virtually all processed foods from our diet, I find I enjoy a slice of toasted fresh bread with butter even more.
I've been met with some pitying stares when I talk about what we don't eat. And I'm really not sure why. We eat very well and I never feel deprived. This dinner, for instance, was king crab legs, parmesan crusted zucchini and salads. Why would I miss convenience food when there is so much wonderful real food to be had?
I'm still mourning my Dad, but I'm happy. In addition to prompting my decision to do a no-shopping year, I've found myself spending a lot of time thinking about what I might want my life to look like long term. Suddenly, I find myself open to all sorts of possibilities post-retirement. So I've been reading, and talking with my husband, and spending a lot of time in thought. I believe this contemplative season I've been having is going to continue for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment