Sunday, April 12, 2020

Springtime during a pandemic is just weird.

I mean, it's beautiful. This is an absolutely lush time in my neck of the woods. But I have been knocked back on my heels by the pandemic. I don't know what my personal risk is like, although I do think I had a little lung damage from the chemo and I had asthma when I was younger, but it's more that I can't help but brood about the possibility of having gone through all those surgeries and chemo only to be taken out by a stupid virus. It has utterly sapped my motivation to do much of anything.
So I am sheltering in place, as requested, and trying hard to focus on the beauty in my own yard. Every time I walk out the front door, I am bowled over by the scent of the lilac bushes.
I've been furloughed from my new job, as all disability evaluations have been temporarily halted. And I'm seeing the handful of patients I have left via telemedicine from my home. My husband's hours have been cut and he's doing a day and a half of his work from home as well. I'm thankful that we at least have some work available to us.
And all this time at home makes you more keenly aware of the little signs of new life. Like this itty bitty praying mantis that found it's way into the study where my husband was working. We relocated it outside.
The only other person I'm having any live contact with at all is my younger son who spends part of each weekend with us. He's lonely and I love having him here. But he's following our household rule - clothes straight into the washing machine and a shower the moment he gets to our house.
When we aren't working, we walk around the neighborhood and wave to people from a distance or putter around in the yard.
I am, of course, deeply grateful to have a yard to be in. There's only so much time you can spend watching Tiger King, after all.
So, I'm going to try to get around to blogs I've been missing and post a little more frequently. A very Happy Easter to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment