Thursday, July 23, 2015

Asheville walks

While we were staying in Asheville a few weeks ago, we took a couple of walks around the neighborhood where the B&B was located. In some places, the roots have pushed up the bricks in the sidewalks.
I'm not sure what's going on with the squirrels we saw. They looked like a standard gray squirrel but with wispy reddish tails.
 I liked this pair of cement cows sitting in someone's garden.
Our last morning, we went for a walk along the paved path down by a creek. I didn't get a photo but we ran into a man who was walking a dog he claimed to be a cross between a Siberian husky and a Chihuahua. I don't even want to think about the mechanics of that. But what it looked like was a miniature husky with stubby legs.
I had to look this up - it's a red milkweed beetle, feasting on a milkweed plant. I've planted some swamp milkweed in my own garden to attract monarchs.
The path took us down by a pond loaded with lotuses. Many of the leaves had a single drop in the center.
Eventually we got to the botanical gardens and walked a wooded trail there. It took us to this old cabin that had been relocated on to this property.
The gardens are all native plants. And native bees, of course. Look at all the pollen loaded on its back legs!
Turk's cap lily. If I lived in that neighborhood, I think my regular walking route would definitley include the botanical gardens.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment