Sunday, July 5, 2015

How about this?

I've written before about my distaste for the terms "boyfriend" and "girlfriend" for those of us well into adulthood. But what's the alternative? "Partner" sounds like you are trying to specify a same-sex pair. Which is fine, but not true in my case. Besides, it's awfully business-like. "Lover" is TMI. "Significant other" is very academic. "Beau" is kind of sweet and old-fashioned but I can't say it with a straight face. "Honey" or "Sweetie" are cringe-inducing. "Bae" and the like are just ridiculous. "Beloved" makes me think of gravestones. "Better half" implies that you are not a whole person on your own. "Friend" or worse, "good friend" practically beg for the use of air quotes. So in spite of myself, I've been sticking with the somewhat juvenile "boyfriend." But I'm retiring that as of yesterday. How does "fiancé" sound?

No comments:

Post a Comment